Friday, March 19, 2010

Journey of 1000 steps

I have never been as obsessed with something as much as I am with baking. Its hard for me to contain my enthusiasm, that's one of the reasons why I began this blog. I want to be able to keep my passion to myself as much as possible, but at the same time I need an outlet for all of my experiences.
This week I sold my second cake. It was a caramel cake. Prior to the order I had never heard of a caramel cake. I googled recipes but I didn't like the reviews that most of the recipes I came across. Luckily my mother gave me several cookbooks and I found an excellent caramel walnut cake recipe. I eliminated the walnuts and walla, caramel cake. From the beginning of my baking I have been looking for the key to a moist cake. I came across applesauce, mayonnaise, and other random things found in the refrigerator that just so happen to keep your cake wet. Luckily for me I have been observing everything at the bakery. And here my friends are the key steps to a moist cake. The first is creaming the sugar and butter really really well, the second is to add your flour last and don't over mix it. Over mixing is simply mixing the batter too long after the flour is added, all you want to do is incorporate the flour, and the last key to moist perfection is timing. Set a timer every six minutes, rotate the cake each time, when the cake is almost done check it around every two minutes or so and then remove it. My cake was so wonderfully moist I couldn't believe it. Now all I have to do is work on my icing skills. Practice will make perfect, and I am definitely up for the challenge.
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment