Thursday, March 11, 2010

Something like irony

When I started working at the hospital a little over three years ago I always had a story to tell. Everything that happened was so out of the ordinary and unreal that I had to share these semi amusing stories to any and everyone that would listen. Today when asked how my day was a fog comes over me. I draw a blank. The semi amusing things still happen, but they are no longer new to me. My job has caused me to turn off a piece of me that I really want on. That is why I am seeking a profession/hobby that will provide me with daily joys. Today a man came into the bakery, he did not smile, he appeared to be lost. He asked for two dozen cupcakes. He didn't care about the price or the flavors he had to get them for an impromptu birthday party at his office. He went on to explain that initially they had nothing planned and later his boss decided he wanted to do something for this individuals birthday, he ended by saying so here I am. During our encounter he did not smile once, he actually seemed unhappy about having to search the city for cupcakes for someones last minute office birthday bash. After he left I reflected upon our interaction, and I knew that in ten years I do not want to be the person running errands for an indecisive boss, I want to be the person with the bakery for the last minute cupcakes.
This past week I worked with the geriatric patients. I sincerely love working with them, but there is one down side to working on that unit, it always smells like urine or the movement of bowels. I am so serious, the full time staff on the unit have started wearing face masks out of fear of becoming sick from the constant odor. On Tuesday I spent my entire 16 hours on that unit only to wake up the next day to intern at a bakery with an aroma of happiness. Lol, that is the only way that I can explain it. This week I have gained a little independence. I made my first batch of cookie dough, it was sugar lemon, and I baked my first batch of oatmeal raisin cookies. I have put them in the oven before but this was the first time that I took them out when they were done. That's a big accomplishment for a second week intern. My supervisors keep assuring me that as time progresses I will be doing more. I believe them and look forward to the hard work that lies ahead.
Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment