Saturday, January 29, 2011

Similar convos

It seems as though no matter where I am, I can find someone who is on a similar life journey as I am. Not to long ago I worked the evening shift at my job. Me volunteering to sit by the front doors during the NA and AA groups gave me the opportunity to talk in depth with a co worker that I normally give a polite smile to. Although we had probably worked together a couple dozen times, we'd never spoken before. He is older than I am, and has had differnt experiences, but he went from mananging a unit of a hospital to learning how to create things from wood. He was modest in his speech, but our conversation just reasured me that I am headed in the right direction.

I had another engaging conversation with an inspirational woman at a beauty salon. About a month ago I decided that I was going to cut my hair. Now, some may think that since I cover my hair (I am a Muslim woman that covers her hair), I lack the attatchment that most women have with their hair. That is completly untrue. I get my hair pressed somewhat regularly, and in between hair appointments I wash and flat iron it myself. Even though I love my hair I felt that it was time for me to see it in a new light, from its beginging stages. I made an appointment with a natural hair stylist; I didnt go to my regular beautician because I had to make this change alone.I had to get a feel for it before I recieved the opinions of my friends and family, and I have known my beautician since I was a child. When I arrived at the salon, I was greeted and after fillinng out some paper work my hair was already getting washed. The lady who was washing my hair began to tell me how she started off at one college aspiring to be a doctor, transferred to a state college and after taking several classes she decided to major in finance. After working in finance for a while, she sparked an interest in hair care, and she persued her interest by watching others already in the field and by asking lots of questions. And now she has a successful hair salon that specializes in maintaining your hairs natural curl. Initially I didnt realize that the lady washing my hair was the owner of the salon. When she was done washing she went on about her business, and after our conversation I had to smile becasue the universe keeps whispering to me "keep up the good work, your headed in the right direction".

My best friend is moving to New York, for her going away gift I made a Sex and the City themed basket. I made Chanel bags, high heel shoes, taxi cabs and martini glass sugar cookies and some vanilla cupcakes with a chocolate frosting. It turned out fab!I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Until next time...


2 comments: