Thursday, January 20, 2011

Giving Some Thanks

Tunnel vision can be dangerous. Sometimes I find myself so obsessed with obtaining a "fulfilling" career that I loose sight of all of the other amazing things around me. When was the last time you gazed at the stars at night? I would not have been able to answer this question if google maps hadn't decided to lead my husband and I through the mountains on our way home from Thanksgiving with the family in Philadelphia. During our turbulent drive we passed through a town that had star in its name, the sky of this town was full of stars. It was so beautiful. As I drove, or rode, through the town I found myself wondering if I could remember looking at the stars in my regular routine. Knowing that I make no time to appreciate the gifts that God has placed on this earth saddens me.

I have to thank google maps for allowing me to realize that I have to take life slow. Enjoy the moments, while planning for the future. There are so many things that I want to do. I want to be able to appreciate nature, without the bug bites and allergies. I want to grow vegetables, walk more, recycle, and volunteer. I want it all. The amazing thing about my wants is that they generally become reality. Even though tunnel vision is dangerous, it allows you to accomplish goals. The secret to it is being aware of the things around you so that you don't miss out on all of the greatness that surrounds us.

Thank you Allah for blessing me with a wonderful family, a great husband, supportive friends, steady income, health, motivation, drive, perspective, personality, humor, knowledge, opportunity and every life lesson that I have learned, the difficult ones as well as the graceful ones.

Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. As Salaamu Alaaykum. Ameen sister well said. Things around us are so beautiful and just taking the time out of our busy life to appreciate the nature that Allah has created so perfectly is very important. We will begin to appreciate the little things out of life in that sense. I have enjoyed your last few post this year and the yummy dessert pics wow they look just delicious. Alhamdulilah. I enjoy reading meaningful fruitful blogs and I can say yours is very well put together. InshaAllah I will stay tuned. Happy Blogging
    ~Yasriyyah
    The Muslimat Mag
    muslimatmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. WAS, thank you for the kind words and for reading my blog, it really means a lot. : )

    ReplyDelete